Monday 20 March 2017

Fond Remembrance

In fond remembrance of my sweet Mahi Aita (Grand Aunt) 
~Late Shrimati Kalyani Phukan~

It’s real strange that time passes so quickly and we grow up so fast, yet the fond memories from the childhood days keep flashing in our minds, as if it happened only yesterday.

Mahi Aita (my grandmother’s sister) has been an integral part of my childhood days, my teens, my youth and even now….

After we shifted to Guwahati in 1981 from Duliajan, we stayed near our maternal grandparents house that was next to Moha and Mahi Aita’s house. We were like a big joint family. There was a lot of fun, sharing and genuine bonding among everyone in the family. As a kid, I along with my cousins use to be active members visiting everyone’s houses in the huge campus looking for fun and play. We were Mango thieves; spoilt brats, noisy lot and very experimental. I believe learning happens from varied experiences good and bad and secret explorations that adults do not approve of. Children absorb like sponges…

During that time I got the scope to learn classical music in Moha’s music school that was of much repute. Well, speaking from a kid’s angle …let me tell you that I loved the JOLSA (musical evenings) at their place. The ragas sang in harmony to the tanpura and table by upcoming singers, the violin and sitar recitals…. were beautiful memories instilled in my mind. I miss those even today and feel that Reev has missed the beauty of such an upbringing.

I was also a guest at Mahi Aita’s place for a few days. My mom was appearing for her Master’s final exam and Mahi Aita offered to look after me for those days. Those were such wonderful days. I felt like a queen from all the pampering bestowed upon me.

Time flew….situations changed, but Mahi Aita continued to have her warm presence our lives. Her smiling and inspiring self was always there at the family get-togethers, talking to people, laughing and inspiring everyone.

My mother told me that she shared a unique bond with my father who used read out the manuscripts of his novels to her, for her opinion. He had found a guide and friend in her.

It is strange that during our last visit to Delhi, we met her at Apollo hospitals. We had gone for our Master health checkup and she was there for her routine tests with Monma and Vishesh (her daughter and son-in-law). Her health was failing but she was in her usual cheer. She even joked and played a few verbal games with Reev, while we were waiting in the lobby. That was the last time we saw her. She left us within the next 25 days. It’s amazing that some people just love to spread their light and keep spreading it, till the end of their lives.

I had seen her fighting a dreaded disease like rheumatism, when I was a kid, seen her bear pain and overcome it, seen her help people in need, seen her offer help to my mother during her tough times, run the music school with enthusiasm, maintain good relations with people, give beautiful names to the new borns’ in the family and so much more...

Children learn a lot from what they see...Today when I know that Mahi Aita is not there anymore, I feel I love her more, than I ever thought.

May her soul rest in peace…God must be real happy to have her!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment